Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Don't Snub this Pub

It is a beautiful Saturday afternoon and it seems as if a night staying in is in the works. Soon after I prophesy the night’s thrilling outcome, I get a text from my sister in law, Kelly.
“Thinking about going to Boondoggles. Open to suggestions.”

We pull ourselves out of the staying in mode and head towards the Kemah area. We pull a right off of Nasa Road One. Time for beer.

Boondoggles serves beer. Lots of it. I try my one liner on the waitress, “What drink off your menu do you serve here that would bring a customer back?” Her answer, “Beer.”

The drink menu is all beer. The waitress’ straight and narrow comment amuses me. Beer indeed. She leaves me with the freedom to decide and I choose the Ace Pear Cider. She assures me that I made a good choice. Sip. Bubbly. Sip. A bit on the sweet side. Gulp. It is a beer disguised as a children’s drink. Sip. Put it in a box with a plastic straw.

Amidst plenty of highly provocative banter (a.k.a. talking about the sibling not present) I have another large glass of Ace Pear before I moved on to a pretentious beer that travels in a bottle the girth of a baseball bat (that’s right, I said girth). The pretentiousness continues. (It seeps into the conversation) The beer must be goblet bound before I can correctly taste its yeasty and slightly bitter goodness. Duval is the name. I drink the light amber liquid inquisitively at first. The transition between a subtly sweet Ace Pear to this manpower show of a drink confuses my taste buds. My brain has difficulty deciding whether to stick my pinky out and sip or gulp and fist grip the goblet. I end up sipping it with a two handed grip, both pinky’s out.

Boondoggles, I will be back. There are more beers to traverse in your warm pub atmosphere. Did I forget to mention the fireplace, pizza oven and hors d’ oeuvres that nicely coincide as a salty sidekick for your choice of beer?

Make the turn on Nasa Road One. Start a weekend night with your friends (if you call relatives friends) with a beer or two at Boondoggles. Thanks for the invite Kelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment